Sunday, February 09, 2014

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things..."

I wasn't going to do a "going away" post. I've done them before and always come back, and it seemed dumb to post and say "No, really. This time I mean it."

But it's done.

The Wylde Kingdom is no more.

So, this is me, at work. I build dollhouses for a living now at Norm's Dollhouse. My name is Wendy, and I don't think there's ever been a picture of me on this blog before, even though I've kept it up for just over 7 years.

Hi there.

These little dolls and their blog saved my life. No exaggeration, without them I would be dead. They saved me when I needed them, and I will forever be grateful that my subconscious created for me such amazing imaginary friends and guides.

It was soul crushing loneliness that drove me so deeply into the world of the dolls and fantasy, and I have truly relished hiding in that world. It was a crutch for me when I was wounded, and I needed it and depended on it to get me through.

My life is different now. It is amazing and fantastic and wonderful. The loneliness is gone. And where a crutch can help you when you're wounded, if you continue to lean on it after you've healed, then it starts to do harm.

So it's time to put aside my crutch and have my life back again. I have hidden behind Miranda for 7 years, and it's time to come out of her shadow.

I cannot thank you enough for reading my stories and loving my characters and enjoying my photography for all these years. I would've done all of this even if no one else ever saw it, I had to, but it made it so much more wonderful to have met so many amazing, creative, and kind people through this. Thank you for being there and for your help and support.


I live in such a beautiful place. Miranda has been such a great way for me to see Colorado, and her camping and Jeep trips have been amazing. But _I_ want to have Jeep adventures and go camping too. Mostly, I want to stop seeing everything through a camera, as has become my habit over the past 7 years.

I record. I document. I observe. But I do not experience.

It has to stop.


Sometime in March (the date is still being determined) I will be having a huge yard sale. Dollhouse, miniatures, toys, dolls, crafty supplies. Everything that doesn't serve me anymore will have to go. If you're in Colorado and would like a piece of the Wylde Kingdom, I hope you'll come on by. :)

I will post here when I know the date, with all of the information.

And I will post here how the yard sale goes. With pictures even!

After that, I will post our goodbyes.

And then I will post no more.

This blog will remain, I have no interest in taking it down. And I'll keep checking in on all the doll blogs I've come to enjoy reading.

I'm still around.

Just finally doing some of wandering of my own. :)

- Wendy


12 comments:

  1. The restorative powers of dolls are quite amazing aren't they? I think the world of imagination you can create with them helps the healing process, and in turn spreads joy, love, laughter and friendships.

    They have helped me too in many many ways that I would never have believed over five years ago.

    Take care Wendy and enjoy your new adventures and thank you for sharing this post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:07 PM

    Hi Wendy, I'm glad you leave your lovely blog online, I enjoy your stories so much! I think that what you wrote about the crutch and everything else is something a lot of people understand very well. I know I do. And everything has its time and place, doesn't it. I wish you as many happy and adventurous moments as possible, enjoy! I will miss you in the virtual world though. Much love sent from me, X

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll miss you, but we won't worry, knowing you're doing it for the right reasons. Thanks for being such an inspiration - your blog was one of the reasons I started my own.

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you all the best as you move on.
    De

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh crap (am I allowed to say that?). I am going to miss you. O how true it rings, what you write about loneliness, crutches and being an onlooker instead of a participant. I have deep respect for your strength and bravery to go on a new adventure of your own this time. Do check in now and then, you have been one of my first followers.
    Big hugs,
    Véronique

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your new adventures, thanks for sharing your blog w/ us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless your heart! I won't say that I'm unhappy about you not blogging, because it sounds like what you will be doing willbe much better. I do hope you will check in and let us know how you are and how things are going. You are a lovely person and will be missed, but we are rejoicing with you, in your new-found, empowered life.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your are amazing always remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:58 PM

    High five, Wendy! I'm so happy to hear you're in such a good place. You know how special the Wylde Kingdom is to me. Funny enough, it helped me out too, which I have already talked to you about. But it seems that the Kingdom did what it came to do and now it's time to say goodbye. I hope your yard sale is a success, which I'm sure it will be. That way you can reinvest the funds into some Wendy wanderings. You better keep in touch, crocodile! <3 I'm going to email you right now, hopefully you check it before your yard sale. :)

    - Lily the Alligator. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw Wendy, I do understand. It makes me both sad, and very happy for you. Its true there is something about experiencing the world via a doll that is empowering and makes tough times so much better, and indeed you have inspired all of us along the way. I am truly glad you will leave up the blog, and I look forward to seeing you bouncing around on Jeeps and truly immersed in your new life - Much Happiness to YoU!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say I am sad Miranda is going away, but I am very happy that you are getting your life back.
    Thank you for leaving the blog online. I am sure it will still be good reads for all of us, and for many others new to the hobby in the future. Thanks for sharing Miranda's adventures with us, and I hope the future has some great adventures for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy!
    Your blog has been a real inspiration to a lot of us. Thank you for sharing it. I have really enjoyed your stories and I have often laughed or smiled at your humor.
    It sounds like you are starting life refreshed and renewed. Good on you for breaking free and knowing what you want. Hope you have some awesome adventures!
    Big hugs,
    from Sam (and Isabelle)

    ReplyDelete