Thursday, February 01, 2007

Flight of the Hawk

(sounds of Baxter barking inside Ariel's house)


Ariel: (from inside house) Baxter! For pity's sake, dog! Do you think you're some kind of fuzzy ROOSTER? What is it? Oh hang on, rotten dog, I'm comin.

*****************

(Spot makes quiet foxy woofing noise)

Lenore: Spot! What is it sweetie? Are you okay?

(Spot continues quietly woofing)

Lenore: (yawn) It isn't even daylight yet, Spot. Hang on, I'll get the light.

Lenore: (gasp) Hawk!

Marius: Shhhh, I'm sorry I startled you...

Lenore: (whispering) It's okay. Are you all right? Why are you in my room? Not that it isn't nice to see you or anything, but still ...

Marius: I came to tell you "goodbye", Wren. I have to go.

Lenore: It's the something bad, isn't it? I told you I thought something bad was happening. What was it?

Marius: It doesn't matter, Wren...

Lenore: It matters to ME. Please tell me what happened, what's making you leave. Please? I won't tell. I promise!

Marius: I did a favor for someone I shouldn't have done a favor for, and I think I did it wrong. And I hurt someone doing it. The person I did the favor for, I think is just going to keep asking me for favors, Wren, forever. And I don't want to do any more favors for her. She's going to be very, VERY angry, and she could hurt everyone here if I stay. I don't know what she'll do, and I don't want everyone to be in danger because of me...

Lenore: (nodding slightly) It's the little yellow worm I dreamed about... and of course you don't. You're not like that. But I understand, Hawk... you sheltered in the tree for a while, and now you have to leave, so all the little songbirds will be safe again...

Marius: Um..., what?

Lenore: Will you tell me where you're going?

Marius: No... well, I honestly don't know. But I will send you a message when I'm safe. Promise. But you can't tell ANYONE, Wren. It might put you in a great deal of danger if anyone thought you knew where I was.

Lenore: Promise. I will miss you, my Hawk.

Marius: I will miss you too, Little Wren. Goodbye.

Lenore: (sigh) Well, I think we shall not see him again, Spot. And I think that makes me very, very sad.

Lenore: For a boy, you're really rather reasonable, Spot. I love you. (sigh)

Lenore: I suppose he came in with the snow, in a way it seems only fitting he should leave with it.

Lenore: Good night, Spot... again.
Marius: (sigh) Snow... oh good.